For something that can get exorbitantly expensive, you’d be surprised at just how uncomfortable the average gaming chair is. Even the pricier of the pricy ones – which should be as cozy as getting a hug from a friendly polar bear, if you got what you paid for – can feel like sitting on a boulder.
The good news is you don’t have to deal with a rock-hard gaming chair – and that doesn’t mean you need to buy a new one, either. I’ve gathered a list of some of our favorite products to make any gaming chair comfortable.
While I can’t guarantee that they’ll transcend your chair into a heavenly seating experience, I do think they’ll at least ease some of your discomfort.
Why are Gaming Chairs so Uncomfortable?
So, what exactly makes gaming chairs uncomfortable, and what can you do to improve it? I’d like to answer that question as a way of showing you how I picked the products to include on this list.
For one thing, most gaming chairs are made from PU leather. The material itself isn’t necessarily hard or anything, but if you ever like to sit in your chair in shorts, you are going to hate peeling yourself slowly off it the next time you get up.
Furthermore, the armrests on gaming chairs tend to be this semi-soft plastic-y material. I don’t know why armrest padding is so uncommon, but I hate having to dig my elbows into this plastic. Needless to say, it does not feel pleasant.
Then there’s the included lumbar and neck pillows that you’ll find on most gaming chairs. Maybe it’s just me, but I generally don’t find them comfortable. I usually end up removing the lumber pillow and tossing it aside because it just juts into my back inflexibly.
So the solutions I looked for were things that make the material less sticky and make the chair itself feel softer. The products I’ve included are things that I’m either interested in owning or that I already personally own and enjoy.
Read Next: Best Gaming Chairs for Bad Posture
Best Products to Make any Gaming Chair Comfortable
As much as I might wish otherwise, sitting in a gaming chair feels nothing like sinking into a luxurious overstuffed chair. The seat especially can be uncomfortable, feeling stiff and little better than sitting on the floor itself.
Enter the ComfiLife cushion. This is one I actually own, and it does make a large amount of difference. Again, it’s not going to be like sitting on your favorite chair in the living room exactly, but it does make your gaming chair’s seat less hard without sacrificing support.
The only criticism I have for this cushion is that it doesn’t cover the whole gaming chair from back to front. When you’re sitting in it, there’s a little part at the front it doesn’t cover, so your legs kind of have this small, soft edge digging into them. Of course, this will vary based on the size of your specific gaming chair.
- Will make you feel like you’re actually sitting in a chair as opposed to on the floor.
- Available in two different colors, gray or black.
- The memory foam is great for people who have problems with sore backs.
- Comes protected by a beefy lifetime warranty.
- It isn’t long enough to cover your gaming chair’s entire seat from front to back.
- It’s initially confusing which way to place it on your chair – the divot in it should be in the back, below your tailbone.
It’s not a dealbreaker for me when a gaming chair lacks padded armrests, but I can’t deny that I dislike having to rest my bony elbows on stiff plastic. Compounded by the fact that many armrests are only so adjustable, it simply leads to an overall unpleasant experience.
You can at least improve things slightly by throwing on these armrest pads. They’re stuffed with memory foam, so no more aching elbows and frustratingly firm plastic.
Plus, they have removable covers on them. If you spill anything on them or they get sweaty with time, you can remove the covers and toss them in your washing machine for a cycle.
- Easy to slip onto your armrests.
- Made of memory foam that’s not too squishy or too hard.
- Available in black or gray colors.
- Washable covers make it easy to clean the pads whenever you need to.
- Adding pads to your armrests does increase their height, so you may need to work to readjust your armrests to a suitable position afterward.
- Some reported that the pads are bit of a tight fit, so make sure to measure your armrests and compare them to the dimensions listed in the description.
An under-desk footrest is another thing I personally own. I mentioned earlier that the gel cushion can kind of dig into your legs a bit because it leaves a slight edge for your thighs to hang off of. Well, with this Everlasting Comfort footrest, you can fix that problem.
It raises your feet off the ground a little bit. Your feet probably aren’t necessarily uncomfortable sitting on the floor, but a soft footrest can be surprisingly cozy. If you get sore hips, the footrest may also help by elevating your feet so weird leg angles don’t stress your hip flexors.
This might not be as useful for you if you’ve got long legs or a footrest built into your chair. But if your footrest is too flimsy or you’re on the short side like me, I think it’s worth considering.
- Keeps your feet off the cold floor – an issue if you live in cold northern climates.
- The cover is removable and can be washed in your washer machine.
- Made from memory foam that shapes around your feet.
- Non-slip bottom keeps it from sliding around on your floor.
- May not be useful for people with long legs.
- Some owners feel that this footrest could be a little firmer.
Guess what? I have this exact Comfier Shiatsu massager because I’m too cheap to invest in one of those full-blown massage chairs like the ones you can sit in at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
Now, this isn’t something you should leave in your gaming chair constantly. You feasibly could just leave it there and sit in it while it’s not on, but I’ve found that it slants into the back at an angle. Plus, you don’t want to lean into it while it’s off because the massage beads will stick into your back.
But if you’ve just had a long day and your back is aching or you need to take a break from work or gaming, this back massager is a treat. Just be careful not to use it for longer than 20-30 minutes at a time, or else you’ll overwork your muscles and wake up the next day feeling like you were hit by a train.
- The massage balls heat up pleasantly.
- There’s a demo mode if you don’t know what your massage preferences are.
- It’s portable, so you can take it anywhere and put it into any chair.
- It gives you the ability to choose which part of your back needs massages.
- It doesn’t have a leg massage part, although the seat does weakly vibrate.
- Sits at a bit of a slanted angle in narrow-backed racing chairs.
- You can easily overwork your muscles in it. (Take it from someone who made the mistake of sitting in it for an hour and a half the first time.)
- Will not reach your shoulders/neck if you’re tall.
- Needs to be plugged in.
This Zyllion shiatsu back and neck massager is what you get when the previous massager can’t reach your shoulders or neck. You can strap this onto the bottom of your chair’s headrest so it can easily reach your shoulders.
Additionally, its small size allows you to put it pretty much anywhere. You can use it as a calf massager by putting it on a flat surface and laying down, for instance.
As I’ve mentioned, I’m pretty short. If I put this on my headrest, it tends to push too hard into the back of my skull unless I sit up really straight. But if you’re taller, I think it would make a great addition to your chair.
- Small and compact, so it’s flexible regarding how and where you use it.
- Heat function helps your muscles relax.
- Made from vegan materials, if that’s important to you.
- The massager will automatically shut off if it gets too hot for your safety.
- It does need to be plugged in, so you’ll have to make sure you’re near an outlet to use it.
Is your chair made of that sticky PU leather material? Then there’s a chance you’ve experienced that annoying sensation of having to quite literally peel your skin off it at one point or another.
Sure, you could avoid this by getting a chair made with fabric to begin with. However, if it’s too late and you’ve already bought a PU leather chair, then you can remedy the problem with this Caveen office chair cover.
As you can see, the cover allows you to simply cover up the chair with a soft and stretchy fabric. No more sticky skin if you dare to wear shorts in your gaming chair.
- It’s sold in a huge range of colors, so you’re likely to find one that fits with your décor.
- The cover’s fabric is soft to the touch.
- Designed to fit on chairs of different shapes and sizes.
- Easy to pull on over your chair.
- Can protect your chair from spills and messes.
- I can’t guarantee it will fit every chair out there. Be sure to check the dimensions in the description.
- The fabric is a little thin, so it’s vulnerable to tearing.
Now let’s talk about what you can do if the lumbar pillow included with your chair feels like a boulder. The solution, of course, is to replace it with something much better like this Everlasting Comfort Lumbar Support Pillow.
This pillow is packed full of memory foam. This allows it to configure to the shape of your back for a much more natural fit than what you’d get from the lumbar support pillows that often come with gaming chairs.
If you’re worried about it sliding around, rest assured it will stay in place with its two adjustable straps. It might even be more stable than your chair’s lumbar pillow.
- The cover is made from mesh to allow for better air circulation around your back.
- Filled with memory foam that conforms to the shape of your back.
- Available in a handful of different colors, so you may even be able to find one that matches your chair.
- Covered by a lifetime warranty.
- There are some reports that it’s a little too thick, taking up room in your chair’s seat.
Don’t despair if you’ve just invested in a gaming chair and found that it’s not as comfy as you hoped. There are things you can do to improve the feel of your chair so that, even if it’s not the comfort oasis you imagined, it will at least be much more tolerable.
In my opinion, one of the single greatest things I purchased to improve the comfort of my chair was the Comfilife gel cushion. It transforms a flat seat into something supportive with just enough give.
Of course, comfort starts with choosing the best chair to begin with. If you’re looking for chairs with wide seats that will allow you to sprawl out, you can take a look at my list of the best gaming chairs for wide hips.